market-farming - [Market-farming] Keeping Agribon in Place

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Harriet Allen <hattie_allen AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Keeping Agribon in Place
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 20:04:26 -0700 (PDT)

As to wind...we have plenty.  I'm near the coast in Delaware.  I am somewhat protected by trees, but we had a few days of 45 mph gusts recently and my row covers held.  We frequently have winds that gust 30-40 mph.  It is amazing to watch!  It takes some practice to get them just right, and you have to ocassionally reanchor the wire hoops if they loosen from rain storms.  Our soil is sandy loam and if it rains, then dries out and the wind blows, the hoops loosen up.  If it is firm in the ground its OK.  If I can see space around the top where the hoop enters the ground, it is time to pull them out and reset them.

I do think if the wind kept changing direction it would be a problem.  My wind mostly comes from the southwest and I notice on those rare ocassions when it comes from another direction or switches around a lot, I have more difficulty.

I must say, I am very proud when I can point to four or five rows covered in white and say to a visitor that the row cover has been in place for the entire winter.  I overwinter my spinach this way and it keeps it clean and growing.  I use the heavier agribon to keep my dill, cilantro, things somewhat less hardy....at least through the New Year and into January.  Then they often don't make it through the rest of the winter, but I manage nice harvests of herbs for the holidays for my delivery customers.  This method allows me to keep my carrots going a long time and then if I have any left after Christmas, I can cover them with hay or leaves if it starts getting really cold.

If you really want to get fancy and keep something alive, you can put hay bales on either side of a bed covered with row cover and it will keep the ground from freezing pretty much all winter in this zone 7.

Hattie's Garden
31341 Kendale Rd.
Lewes, DE 19958
302-945-0350