market-farming - [Market-farming] Keeping Agribon in Place

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Harriet Allen <hattie_allen AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Keeping Agribon in Place
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 18:32:33 -0700 (PDT)

I learned this from Elliot Coleman's book...To put stakes at each end of the row and tie the agribon to it, stretched over the hoops.  With a second hoop holding the row cover down every other hoop, I don't need any rocks or dirt or weight to keep the sides down.  It stays in place just fine.  My row covers will go right through the winter without coming off if I have tied them right. The snow isn't usually a problem since I'm in Zone 7.  I set these up by myself (they always come out best when I do them alone for some reason) and they average about 50 feet long because most of my rows are about that long.  I have done 100 feet, but it seems trickier.  My hoops are 4 to 5 feet apart.

I use this for early spring flowers too, even if they are plenty cold hardy.  The snapdragons, lisianthus, sweet william are just so much nicer if they spend the beginning of their lives under cover.  It helps them stretch for the light and keeps them in great shape until I have to remove the cover.

Hattie's Garden
31341 Kendale Rd.
Lewes, DE 19958
302-945-0350