market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Profitable enough?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Profitable enough?
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:43:00 -0400

Yes it can be profitable enough. Well, let me rephrase that. Growing things
doesn't make money. Selling them makes money. There are several folks in my
neck of the woods who do well enough to pay off the land, make investments
back in the farm, raise family, save for retirement. They had some lean
years to start.

I strongly second two recommendations from other folks:
1. Intern or work for others. Maybe for 5 or 10 years even seeing how
different farmers do things.
2. Since you are not tied to a piece of property, think "urban". Either
arranging for use of land or gardening for others. I have read of someone
who preps and maintains backyard gardens for folks who want fresh food but
don't want to garden.

In urban areas you have easy access to leaves, grass clippings, etc, and
easy access to customers.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY
http://rhomestead.com

Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Francis
Moore Lappe