market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cucumber trellises that work?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cucumber trellises that work?
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 19:49:15 -0500

I use t-posts and roll fencing. I've done this for two years and had poor results one year and good results last year. The biggest difference was that the first year I relied on the plants to vine up the fencing on their own, but last year I used an ag-clip to tie the vine on the fence to get it started in climbing. Quality of the cukes went way up compared to cukes grown on straw mulch on the ground. They were much straighter and looked real good. My Suyo Long cukes did especially well on the fence.

Andy

Glen Eco Farm wrote:
I have never had any real success with getting cucumber vines to climb vertical trellises. I generally allow cucumber vines to sprawl and they usually do OK with the exception that a lot get missed by my PYO customers.