market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cell Pack Rant.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cell Pack Rant.
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 14:20:30 -0600

Oh yeah, they are really hard to separate. We fill them, usually water
them in, then cut apart with a sharp knife before planting. That way
they don't tear and are ready for the customer to pick up. Also, we
have found that not all 1801's are the same. Some are much sturdier
than others. I'd say we average 3-4 years on them, and they cost about
2 cents each. Most of our transplants are started in small cells - 96 to
200+, depending on crop (and room on the germination mats) and are
really fast to pot up into the 1801 cells.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm