market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Selling Live plants at a Farm Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sharon and Steve" <shopkins AT tdstelme.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Selling Live plants at a Farm Market
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 17:20:17 -0500

Maine has a $5.00 lisence for folk with real small retail space so I have only sold from the back of my truck the last couple of years. Since my truck is part of my display at market I have a
4 x 8 pallet made so that 3½ inch square pots fit snuggly between the 1 x 3 top slats, when I get to town I can slide it out of the truck so that one end is on a horse and one is still on the tailgate. Back at home it slides out onto 2 horses and can be watered and refilled with fresh product. I have a plywood layer between the top of the bed and the truck cap so that I have place for a second layer of stuff.....a bit less convenient but still usefull.

My favorite product would be a Patio tomato grown in a Kord fiber 9 x 7 Rose Pot, with a sturdy cedar stake, which has a good crop showing, sell best for me at Fathers day and on into the summer to about mid July.
Probably any large pot would do but I like the fiber as it can be planted direct into the ground or a larger pot by any pale thumbed customer.
Two years ago these were fetching $5.00 here in this poverty pocket.

For best product and least hassel at the market I did all the bedding
in 3½ pots as they will hold a days worth of water on the road and offer the customer a chance to mix and match or just buy one plant if that is what they needed. All these I can plant up here after Mothers Day makes space available from 128 plugs, so there is no/almost no heat.

MAsteveINE

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew R. King" <andrew.king2 AT worldnet.att.net>