market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Selling Live plants at a Farm Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kate Halstead" <rockyprairie AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Selling Live plants at a Farm Market
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 22:12:48 -0800

Better check with your farmers market rules before using plugs from someone
else. Markets in our state (WA) insist growers raise everything from seed or
cuttings themselves, a rule I think helps level the playing field for the
smaller growers.

I've been selling gallon tomato and pepper plants for five years along with
4-inch herb & other veggie starts, 6-packs of lettuce & basil sell very
well. But the gallons are the biggest moneymaker for me, both wholesale and
retail at the markets. Two months from seeding to sale with bottom heat. I
focus on varieties for flavor and 'growability' in our region, not something
usually addressed by the box store's $2.99 special on Early Girl.

Used a half-ton PU with canopy for years. Putting a shelf in helped double
the amount of flats I could get to fit. Moving to a 1-ton this year, can't
imagine what I'll do with all the room. Probably haul more plants that I'll
haul back home. Never expect to sell even close to everything you bring. A
good day is when the truck goes home half empty. But you have to give folks
a bunch to pick through or they don't feel like they have a choice. Sigh.

Kate
Rocky Prairie Herb Gardens
WA Zone 7