market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Markets
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:04:53 -0400

Haven't actually had any problems with FMNP at our market. We take both senior and WIC. The coupon customers seem to me overall just like the non-coupon customers; the only difference is working out change in produce instead of in cash ("let's see, you've got 50ยข coming . . . want a green pepper? one of the really small eggplants? another couple onions or potatoes?)

The closest thing to a problem is that New York State doesn't let you take them till July, and people want to use them in June (we have strawberries, rhubarb, peas, asparagus, bunching onions, spinach, lettuce, etc.) The last couple of years NY didn't hand them out to customers till July, but they still ask us about them.

We do have some customers (both senior and WIC) who are very very glad to get them, and say they have trouble affording much produce without them but very much want to be able to get more fresh veggies.