market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Ferree <john AT seldomseenfarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Markets
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:18:52 -0400

I am severely discouraged by the IN WIC program. The staple program is
ok, but they are introducing senior wic coupons. last year they tried
to spend down a budget, and ended up dumping coupons at a few retirement
homes. the homes then bused in people. ours is the only sat market
open in oct. many of those with coupons were extremely rude and pushed
regular customers out of the way to spend their $. a few were stealing,
distracting one of us while the other loaded a bag. anyway, i'll have
my 'no wic' sign ready this oct in case the same occurs. (btw, i
support the wic program, but want nothing to do with the administative
BS and their misguided judgements.) if there is market drama over wic
(not enough atm 20's). . . i wonder about the nature of the market. . .
are prices so low that you cannot make a living? in indianapolis there
is one market known to be a wic market. . . everything is priced in 3$
increments. long time producers are dropping out. . . doesn't help that
there were gunshots near the market. i have avoided it because it is a
known reseller market, and will not support the price point that i
consider a living wage.

as to buying to supply wic custs. . . why bother. i am one of a few
growers in a sea of resellers. run the numbers on the auction bought
goods. . . . subtract your sales from time, spoilage and gas. was any
money made--are $ the ultimate goal? or did your actions prevent
further development of a producer for a short term gain?
john