market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] are you a global warming deniers?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BillOhio <billohio AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] are you a global warming deniers?
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:44:37 -0400

This is a favorite peeve of mine. Folks want a home in the country, so they buy 5 acres with restrictive deeds that prevent any meaningful rural activities, like farming for profit or in some cases even putting up a clothesline, and they build a huge house on it. They then demand the same services they had in the city they wanted to "escape" from, and start complaining about the activities their farming neighbors engage in to make a living. Next thing in are the malls. Schools get crowded, roads become inadequate, and the taxes rise to pay for all the newly-required services. Next thing you know, the only thing rural is the street names commemorating a lifestyle long gone. This isn't so much about population growth, IMO, as it is about developers' greed and the cheap gasoline and subsidized highway system which allow people to push ever further from their place of employment at the expense of rural communities and the environment. IMO, miles of perfectly-manicured lawns with huge houses are an ecological desert--where are the rabbits, insects, birds, and diverse plants which made these beautiful acres their home in the past?

True story--a friend at work asked me what to look out for while inspecting a 10-acre lot he and his wife were interested in buying to move to the country from a small city near here. He said you know, the thing that concerns us is, we walked over the property and when we got back to the car we each had TICKS on us!!!!!! Maybe 2 or 3 on each of us!!!!!! WHAT CAN WE SPRAY ON THE PROPERTY TO GET RID OF THEM??????? I tried to explain that ticks are part of the environment and food chain, and that killing them meant killing a host of other organisms as well. He looked at me as if I was an idiot (well, maybe I am at that :) )

Bill Huhman
Central Ohio, formerly from the Missouri hills