market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Sales
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 01:47:49 GMT

Our sales always drop in August. It's too hot for tomatoes right now, and
that is what the customers want. Our squash has burned up, and weeks ago when
we should have been putting in 2nd and 3rd plantings, we were getting
torrential rains every day.
My flowers are burning up, and same thing. Couldn't replant when I needed to.
All of our fall crops are in though, and doing OK. We have had about 6 days
in a row of temps around 100 and it's hard to put enough water on everything.
We're supposed to get a little break from the heat this weekend.
We looked at our records for the last 5 years, and have tried to increase
sales for those months that weren't so great. But, August has us stumped.
What will grow in this heat?? Nothing but the Johnson grass!
Carla in Oklahoma