market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Debbie Moore" <caverdjmoore AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Sales
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 17:46:06 +0000

Since the beginning of august, sales and the number of customers have off
greatly at the farmer's markets in my area. Do you think the drop off is
seasonal or because of the economy? Any ideas?

1) Heat.
2) Local gardens now producing.
3) Local gardeners clandestinely and anonymously leaving vegetables in cars and on doorsteps of non-gardeners. The odd thing seems to be, that our farmers market is stimulating an interest in gardens again, and it's been my observation that there seem to be more around this year. Hence more veggies. Hence more sharing. Hence less paying customers *sigh*. So, the challenge becomes, for the manager and the vendors, how to make the market stimulating enough to keep people coming.
4) School starting, parents getting ready to ship kids off to college, summer visitors going home.

June also is our peak month, although it slid well into July this year. What about everybody else? Is June your best month?

Debbie
west central Ohio

A new home for Mom, no cleanup required. All starts here. http://www.reallivemoms.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM&loc=us