market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Sales
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 23:41:04 GMT

We are in a college town as well. We have the support of the faculty, but...
they really aren't big spenders. They will buy a box of tomatoes, or squash,
and that's it. We don't get many students either. A few, but not many. We
have tried advertising in the college paper, with limited results.
We received a grant this year from the dept. of Ag. and our board decided to
spend the money on advertising. We have advertised on our local radio
stations all summer. The down side is: This was the year of the flood. So
many of our growers, ourselves included have a very limited amount of
produce, particularly now. Business is great for the bread makers, and
certified kitchen people though. I don't think any of them are experiencing
the "August slump" and, I think if we had more produce we could certainly be
selling a lot more than we are now. I know I'm seeing lots of new faces. What
worries me is that they are coming for tomatoes, or cucumbers which are both
in short supply and will be frustrated by the lack of and won't come back. We
have tried to explain that this year has been unusual, and to please bear
with us. Who knows how it will all turn out though.
Carla in Oklahoma