market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmers' Market Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "TxBeeFarmer" <TxBeeFarmer AT HotPop.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmers' Market Question
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 19:23:15 -0500

I used to worry about everyone being totally legal at our Market too. But the more I learn about the various laws, the harder it is to be completely compliant with everything - at least it's that way here in Texas. Did you know most States require a Class III scale that must be certified each year if you sell by weight. Did you also know that you probably have to register it with the Dept. of Ag.? Or, what about the requirement from the Dept. of Health that calls for an inspection and certificate if you cut up any food and give out samples at the Market? Oh, and don't forget the USDA permit requirement for selling any live plants or seeds. Or what about the temperature, labeling, and storage requirements for eggs. The list goes on, and on, and on - not to mention the Health Dept. requirements you were originally concerned about. Our view is - we do the best we can, but we don't loose sleep over it. There are so many laws in this country on every conceivable topic, absolutely NO ONE can do it all. Instead, the laws are used more as a justification for legal harassment when the desire arises.

That's my two cents.

TxBeeFarmer
West Texas Zone 7b

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>