market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Growing Sugar Cane

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Karen Sutherland & Roots Farm <rootsfarm AT marpin.dm>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Growing Sugar Cane
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 19:37:20 -0400

Title: rootsfarm_signature
In Dominica, sugar cane is always grown from cuttings.  Under our conditions: plentiful rainfall most of the year, rich friable young volcanic soil, it is practically a no care crop.  Occasional weeding, occasional feeding (we use manure).  If we were really concentrating on cane, we'd feed more to get the largest possible space between the joints.  Variety selection makes a big difference in maximizing the suitability for fresh eating (soft types), as opposed to using for juicing, sugar making.   Cane is usually sold by the stalk at market ($! to $2 EC/stalk, depending on variety) although some enterprising folks have started stripping and chunking it into easy eating sizes..  Some folks also have smalll presses that they run the stalks through and sell sugar cane juice by the glass or bottle.

Our farm is enduring its 8th week without significant rain and we have lost most everything to the blazing sun except for fruit trees and cane.  (No on site water to tap for irrigation).   Praying for a shower or two and that the rains will start again, as customary, before the end of June.

Best wishes to all,

Karen

Karen Sutherland
Roots Farm
Organic Produce : Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs

Cockrane, Dominica
767-449-3038
rootsfarm AT marpin.dm

TxBeeFarmer wrote:
Just curious, what would it take to grow some sugar cane here in west Texas.
Thought it might be a novelty at the Farmers' Market and I could make a good
profit.

And where could I get seeds?

Thanks

TxBeeFarmer