market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] potatoes under plastic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shelly Elliott" <shelly AT idlethyme.com>
  • To: "Tom Circle" <tcircle AT ckt.net>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] potatoes under plastic
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:17:36 -0600

Yes, I buried in more hay and straw. I would say about a foot deep but of course, it never got that deep because of the settling and decomposition. When I first piled the straw on top of the seed, I used thick flakes of hay. As the plants grew, I used the straw a bit thinner. Of course, there was drip irrigation under the straw from the beginning. Yes, it is easy to pull the straw back and the potatoes are just sitting there on the dirt. You can choose the ones that you want and let the rest grow on. When I was attempting this in dirt, I always pulled potatoes that were too small accidnetly and disturbed the roots of the plant. I had no rodent problems (that I know of) and we have rodent problems in general. The 13 lined ground squirrels and I have a battle that has been going on for years. One other advantage is that the potato beetles do not seem to like the straw. I did not find one beetle on the plants with the straw, comparatively I found some on the plants without straw. The last few years we have had few beetles though. I think they prefer life further south in Colorado (hahaha-sorry a little farmin' humor). This year Iall the potatoes under straw. I see no reason not to. Try it, I think you will like it!
Shelly

This question is for Shelly in WY.

You said that you planted on the ground and covered with straw and hay.
Then you said that you buried them deeper as they grew. With more straw?
Then you harvested the baby reds without pulling the plant and that let the
little ones that you didn't harvest get bigger? Correct? Did you have any
rodent problem with the straw and hay. Let me know if you can.

Thanks, Tom Circle. SE Ks.