market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] potatoes under plastic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tom Circle" <tcircle AT ckt.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] potatoes under plastic
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 21:03:57 -0500

Hello Steve, Most of the time the sprouts are under 1/2" long. Some longer
but most 1/2" or shorter. Dug some today and took to FM. Too cold for a
very good crowd but sold some. They will keep until next market. If I would
have had green beans I could have sold more potatoes.

This question is for Shelly in WY.

You said that you planted on the ground and covered with straw and hay.
Then you said that you buried them deeper as they grew. With more straw?
Then you harvested the baby reds without pulling the plant and that let the
little ones that you didn't harvest get bigger? Correct? Did you have any
rodent problem with the straw and hay. Let me know if you can.

Thanks, Tom Circle. SE Ks.