market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Green Garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Green Garlic
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 05:36:57 -0500

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 09:48:22PM -0400, herbthyme AT simcon.net wrote:
> Is it not good to cut garlic greens before it's ready?????? Or is your
> garlic ready...I do not know where are you from?

We are having fair success selling "green garlic", pulling and bunching
immature garlic and selling it like green onions. We have to peel it
to make it look presentable, so we charge a bit more than onions. The
"green garlic" will be only a small fraction of our entire garlic crop,
but it gets some of it moved earlier than would be possible otherwise.
We've been doing this now about two months, we started only about a
month after setting out the garlic bulbs. We pull only what we hope to
sell for each market; we started at about ten bunches and now we are up
to about 50. 6-8 stalks per bunch of very young garlic, now, 3-4 of
the older.

I imagine that is what the poster is doing.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.0/GNU/Linux system uptime 33 days 12 hours 31 minutes