market-farming - [Market-farming] potatoes under plastic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] potatoes under plastic
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 14:30:34 -0400

I am really tempted by the potatoes under plastic idea, from the success a couple of you mentioned. However, I have been trained to think of hilling to give more buried stem area for more potatoes. Please tell me how deep do you plant them under plastic? Or off to the side so they grow sideways? Have you tried white plastic or just black plastic? If black, any problems from soil too warm, or do you think the early growth outweighed soil warmth and the vines covered the plastic by the time it would be an issue?

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY
http://rhomestead.com