market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] potatoes under plastic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tom Circle" <tcircle AT ckt.net>
  • To: <lists AT rhomestead.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] potatoes under plastic
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 15:49:38 -0500

Hello Beth,   We plant chitted seed around the first of Feb. '05 .  Dig baby reds the first of May.  Just the size they like at market.  We plant about 2-3" deep after the plastic is laid.  Cut holes with a bulb planter and drop the piece in the hole and fill with what came out with the bulb planter, water and stand back and wait.  No potato bugs to deal with what so ever. The potatoes that we have this year were planted about the first of Mar, have not bloomed yet and have baby reds about the size of golf balls.  We will cut some of the tops off late next week and let the skin set a little before we dig.  Wish we had some new green beans to sell along with them.  Any ideas let us know.

Thanks,
Tom Circle,  SE Kan.