market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] salad mix seeding rate

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <Allan AT freshandlocalcsa.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] salad mix seeding rate
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 07:07:58 -0400

didn't 'get around' to getting shade on last year and found that in our tunnel that has open sides, it didn't matter. And, the mesclun didn't etoliate like it does in the shade, so the leaves were thicker. Since we only cut once on a seeding in the summer, it had no time to get bitter. The plastic top keeps it cleaner (no rain splash). I can't answer your question since we haven't grown under just shadecloth- you might try both ways and report back!

Alison - I guess with the open sides this question might be irrelevant, but I was wondering what you were doing to promote germination of salad mix in hot weather. Allan