market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] salad spinners

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shawnee Flowerfarmer" <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] salad spinners
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 20:30:54 -0600

We used to float the salad greens/ lettuce/spinach/arugula in a large tub of water, scoop out and drain in plastic crates...then pack in bags.  Worked very well actually.  Our short experiment with an old washing machine for washing/spinning left far too many buggy guys still mixed in with the greens--a bit too organic for our customers.  Sorting out the inedible bits as the greens floated in a tub was easier also.

Shawnee, zone five some seasons.