market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] salad spinners

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] salad spinners
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 07:44:58 -0600

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 08:53:47AM -0500, Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
> I only do about 10 pounds at a time (maybe more this season), but I soak

I have some mesh laundry bags, about 1 bushel in size, that I pick my
salad greens into; I put the mesh bags in 5 gallon pickle buckets and
over-fill them in the field. Then, I submerge the bags in a galvanized
stock water tub, maybe 75 gallons. Pump them as gently as possible,
pull them out, swing them around. If the wash water gets dirty, do it
again with fresh water. Then store the mesh bags in the cooler to
drain a bit more and await mixing and packing.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.0/GNU/Linux system uptime 12 days 15 hours 40 minutes