market-farming - [Market-farming] salad spinners

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] salad spinners
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 21:02:05 -0500

Guess I'm gearing up to do lots more salad mix. I borrowed a friend's
pinpoint seeder to try and fell in love, so I need to do a lot of salad to
justify the new Johnny's seeder and greens' harvester I just ordered.
(Figured 100 lbs of salad mix will pay for them.) But then, as I spun 5 lbs
of salad mix in my kitchen-size spinner, I realized I need to do something
different for drying the salad mix. So,

1. Do I really need to spin it dry or can I just let it drain? I think I
heard of reputable grower who just drains it - will track that down and
contact them.
2. At this point we probably are not going to make a used clothes washer
spinner this year - don't have an extra old washer around, and other
projects taking precedence.
3. If I do need a spinner, what recommendations do you have for manual
spinner? We will keep an eye out for a washing machine to make a motorized
unit. I am seeing a Matfer Bourgeat brand for MUCH less than the Dynamic.
The Euro is also less. Anyone have experience with the comparative quality
of these brands? Or do you have another recommendation?

Thank you. Eagerly awaiting delivery of the new seeder. I just was not good
with sprinkling seeds. My plantings were either way too dense or really
sparse.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY