market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Shoofly Pie Was root zone heating (Steve Diver)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: ktk2a <ktk2a AT earthlink.net>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Shoofly Pie Was root zone heating (Steve Diver)
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 08:28:40 -0500

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:13:55 -0800, you wrote:

>YES ABSOLUTELY!! Have heard shoo fly things all my life....but what the
>heck is it??! I grew up on the east coast....not much shoo fly talk out
>there! Now I'm curious...

Shoo-fly pie (I don't know about the cake) is a Pennsylvania
Dutch food.

It's very like a pecan pie with crumbs (like in crumb cake)
instead of pecans.

It's so terribly sweet it makes my teeth hurt! I've only
once tasted it that I really liked it - once it had more
taste, and less sheer sweetness.

Pennsylvania Dutch cooking tends towards being exceedingly
sweet in any case, to my taste.

Pat
-- northern Pennsylvania