market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Shoofly Pie -- the history, the recipes!!!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alliums" <garlicgrower AT green-logic.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Shoofly Pie -- the history, the recipes!!!
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:38:10 -0500

Hi, Folks!

Pat wrote:

<<Apple pie for breakfast sounds good to me!>>

Especially my mom's apple pies, which are simply the best. We like tart
apples in our pies -- I've noticed the "English" orchard folks around here
seem to be going for very, very sweet apples to sell for "eating out of
hand." While they have a good product, I end up buying most of my apples
from the Dutchmen because they have the nice tart apples we've always used
for cooking.

<<You know you're in Pennsylvania when.... restaurant menus
list both cottage cheese and apple butter under 'Choice of
Vegetables'. >>

You know you're PA Dutch when you top your cottage cheese with apple butter.
I had no idea this was a "strange" combination until I did it in Iowa once
at a salad bar and the entire restaurant stared at me. Nobody blinks an eye
around here!

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of