market-farming - [Market-farming] Shoofly Pie Was root zone heating (Steve Diver)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alliums" <garlicgrower AT green-logic.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Shoofly Pie Was root zone heating (Steve Diver)
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 14:13:42 -0500

Hi, Folks!

Steve Diver wrote:

<< and she was
explaining the difference between a web bottom pie and
a dry bottom pie. >>

Steve, you're a smart guy, but obviously, you're not PA Dutch and don't make
shoofly pie very often! ;-)

The two types of shoofly pie are "dry bottom" (no molasses) and "wet bottom"
(molasses is poured on the bottom crust, then the pie filling is added).
"Web bottom" sounds like an inverted cherry pie, which actually sounds
interesting, but would probably burn the bottom of the pie! ;-)

I personally prefer "wet bottom", but my mother prefers "Granger Pie" which
is a wet bottom with maple syrup, instead of molasses - just to make pie
classification even more difficult!

And I don't care if they do it at the big Lancaster County "PA Dutch
Buffets," putting a big scoop of ice cream on top of shoofly pie is just
heresy!

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of