market-farming - [Market-farming] root zone heating (Steve Diver)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Steve Diver <steved AT ncat.org>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] root zone heating (Steve Diver)
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:52:51 -0600

Friends -

Talking about bottom heat reminds me of that
time Garrison Keillor was doing a Prairie Home
Companion program in Pennslyvania Dutch country. He was interviewing a spunky local woman about the
wondeful Amish cooking in the region, and she was
explaining the difference between a web bottom pie and
a dry bottom pie.
Then she turned the tables on Keillor and asked,
"so, Garrison, which do you prefer, a dry bottom
or a web bottom?"
That was the only time I heard Garrison Keillor thrown for
a loss of words.... sputtering... while the audience howled
with laughter.

OK, punning aside, the other source on root-zone
heating I'll mention is the ATTRA publication.

Root-Zone Heating for Greenhouse Crops
http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/rootzone.html

But be sure to request the print version and have
it mailed to your farm house. It contains the printed
articles from John Bartok and others, as well as the
Rutgers bulletin, as enclosures.
Fyi, I think the Rutgers University bulletin was one
of the original sources and is still a key reference. But the online Clemson bulletin is probably just as
good for an all-round summary of the technology.

If you need the valueable agriculture experiment station
articles from Carl Whitcomb's nursery research days at
Oklahoma State University, dealing with solar hot water
panels that fueled root-zone heating beds in greenhouses,
contact me directly.
Steve Diver
http://www.attra.ncat.org