market-farming - [Market-farming] 100' row value

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Steve Diver <steved AT ncat.org>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] 100' row value
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 13:41:25 -0600

> paul <tradingpost at gilanet.com> wrote:

>Very interesting information overall, Steve. But looking just
>at Enterprise Budgets and Production Costs for Organic
>Production http://www.attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/enterprisebudgets.html
>I wonder how they can arrive at useful figures that allow for great
>differences in growing methods, equipment, labor, soil conditions,
>and marketing. Certainly some growers get much better results
>and some get far worse. Is this a case where averages don't
>tell us much about individual prospects?

Vegetable Variety Trials are conducted at agricultural
experiment stations. The yield data that results
represent "good average" commercial yields
for the geographical region.
Obviously the skill and experience of the vegetable grower,
climatic conditions, soils, irrigation, fertility, and equipment
resources can all have an impact on vegetable yields.

A common method in vegetable production is to
estimate for 10%, 20%, and 30% variations in
yield *above* and *below* the average yields
for the purpose of budget projections.

Using organic sweet corn as an example, I have
found the following table displays to be very helpful
in understanding the relation between Variations-
in-Yield and Price-per-Unit Received in terms of negative
economic returns, break-even returns, and profitable
returns.

Table 4: Net Dollar Returns per Acre of Sweet Corn:
Central California Coast
http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/sweetcorn.html#table4

Table 5: Net Dollar Returns per Acre of Sweet Corn: Maryland
http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/sweetcorn.html#table5

Regards,

Steve Diver