market-farming - [Market-farming] Speed and Quality was Seeds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Speed and Quality was Seeds
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 10:25:13 -0500

Last season we hired students from Shepherd University to plant onion sets. I paid $10 an hour so that people would actually take the work. We got a few kids who really busted and got a lot done. We had other people, though, who would LAYDOWN AND REST THEIR HEAD ON ONE HAND before they reached the end of the bed. It would cost me $40 to find that out abotu a person, but, of course, they were never invited back after lunch. For us, getting people who can do the work right is difficult enough. Unfortunately, most that can get it right actually resent me "encouraging" them to start working on their speed. They think I'm exploiting them, you know...