market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] 100' row value

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] 100' row value
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 09:55:00 -0500

You can estimate yields, but returns are a tricky thing; way too many
variables across seasons and regions

But, even so, what you are describing is pretty much a seasonal cycle that some federal agency should have mapped out by now. (I'd really hate to spend the time deriving row information from Jeavon's intensive bed information! )

From the same federal folks, I'd like to find a documentary film on the skills of experienced harvest laborers. I'd like footage of what a professional bean picker looks like when they are picking beans, or a professional lettuce cutter. I think it would be very informative for most interns to see at the first of the season so they understand that concept of 'working at a pace where speed is not sacrificed to quality but where quality remains high.' I'm just too rusty in too many places to give a respectable hands-on demonstration of these concepts nowadays. ;-)

-Allan