market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] 100' row value

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] 100' row value
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 10:13:26 -0500

You can estimate yields, but returns are a tricky thing; way too many
variables across seasons and regions. A zucchini in May is worth a lot
more than a zucchini in August. And it depends on location; I can only get
half as much for my produce here than if I could sell it in, say New York
City or Philadelphia. The best I've found is to learn your yields and keep
track of local supermarket prices, so you have some idea what your
competition charges. I know that my customers tell me what that pepper
would cost in the supermarket...too many tell me that for me to charge
much more than supermarket prices. You can set your prices accordingly,
depending on how much more people are willing to pay for 'farm fresh'.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA