market-farming - [Market-farming] bcs tractors and wood fired radiant heat for green houses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Steve Diver <steved AT ncat.org>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] bcs tractors and wood fired radiant heat for green houses
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 12:44:58 -0600

Keep in mind that you can also fashion hitch-attached
implements to go with a BCS walking tracor.
We clipped on an old horse-drawn cultivator. We made
a finger tine weeder from wood, bolts, and tines. Both
used the power of the walking tractor to drag teeth
through the soil for cultivation between rows, to create
a stale seedbed, etc.

To echo John Wages' input, Earth Tools in Frankfurt,
KY, is a premier source for BCS attachments, wheel
modifications, and supplemental implements.
http://www.earthtoolsbcs.com

The other piece I envision as useful is a chisel
plow type implement to break through sod as
primary cultivation, followed by the roto-tiller for
secondary harrowing and seedbed preparation.
For root-zone heating, you should get the print
version of the ATTRA publication, which has
enclosed articles and bulletins that provide
technical specifications in detail.
Root Zone Heating for Greenhouse Crops
http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/rootzone.html

Fyi, depending on your geographical location
and therefore lattitude and solar exposure,
you may find that solar hot water collectors
run through radiant floor tubing is a dynamic
system. Of course, almost every solar radiant
floor system also has a flash gas water heater
as a supplemental heat source.

Steve Diver
Fayetteville, AR