market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] bcs tractors and wood fired radiant heat for green houses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joyce Paski <elderberrywine4u AT yahoo.com>
  • To: wizard1 AT kih.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] bcs tractors and wood fired radiant heat for green houses
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 08:36:45 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Mark:  I have a BCS 722 that I purchased this  year to start my market garden.  I also purchased the brush mower, the tiller, and hiller/furrower attachment. I am currently using it to renovate a 7 acre field that has been in grass pasture for the past 70 years.  The brush mower is terrific.  I had no problem cutting through tall alfalfa/timothy/meadow grass and field edge brush and small saplings.  If you are busting sod, it will take several passes even after removing the sod, and adjusting the tilling depth lever for each pass, to get the soil where you want it. I have not tried the hiller/furrower yet, but think that if I till the ground finely enough this coming Spring, I should have no problem with that attachment either.  I find that it is easier to change attachments with a helper.  I have had absolutely no problem starting it up.  My husband loves it and he has a shoulder problem.  My father, who is and has always been a "green" tractor man and minces no words, actually gave his nod of approval after looking it over and said the BCS was a fine machine.  High praise from an old farmer.  He was very impressed with the gear drive.  No belts to mess with.  My husband and I looked at the 852 and if we had the money we would have gotten it instead because it has more power than the 722 and we could have used the additional power with more implements.  As it is, you do what you have to do and we are very happy with the smaller 722.  We have actually had people stop on the road and watch us using it.

Joyce Paski
Swamp Creek Farm in Z3
www.swampcreekfarm.us

MARK A. ABNER" <wizard1 AT kih.net> wrote:

 I wondered if any of you own a bcs
and would share your experiances with the machines and thier attachements
with me.