market-farming - [Market-farming] wood fired radiant heat for green houses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <bullrun AT arczip.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] wood fired radiant heat for green houses
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 09:25:58 -0500

Title: wood fired radiant heat for green houses

using a wood boiler to heat your greenhouse.  First  off, do your research on buying one.  There is a lot of criticism of those wood boilers where the fire box is surrounded by water.  Go to places like http://www.woodheat.org to read up on the different type boilers.

I have an AHS  boiler (its a wood gasification type boiler) which I use to heat my 30X96 greenhouse and our home.   It works great though it eats a lot of wood.

As far as the greenhouse  (which no doubt is our concern here) I heat by putting the radiant pipes  on the tables  5  four foot tables running the  length of the house , six lengths of pipe per table.

Before putting the radiant hot water heat in the greenhouse I used a 150,000 btu gas Moline heater.  the moline kept the greenhouse warmer than the radiant but ther radiant kept the flats warmer  (since they sit right on the hot water pipes. I no longer need root pads for my seedlings.

And the best thing, since I have a hundred acre woodlot, the wood boiler is sure cheaper than buying all of that propane.

Howdy folks.

    I am giveing serous consideration to adding a bcs 852 and several
implements to my equipment this year. I wondered if any of you own a bcs
and would share your experiances with the machines and thier attachements
with me.
      Second question . I am planning on putting in a green house and possibly a
mushroom growing house next to it and thinking that the way to heat these
structures economicly may be with a wood fired boiler. I think I remeber
some discution in this list about radiant heat systems in green housed so
if any of  you are useing this sort of sysetem either radiant floor heat of
heat echanger forced air heat for your green houses I would aprecieate your
inputs.

Mark A Abner
BriarPatch Farms
Monticello KY