market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] working kids

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Robin Follette" <marketfarmers AT thymeforewe.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] working kids
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:21:52 -0400

Schools in Aroostook county (northern Maine) start in early August so that the kids can be out of school for three weeks to harvest potatoes. Ten year olds are raking blueberries on barrens here. The legalities are worth looking into. I'd do it, legal or not, and use it as a teaching/learning experience. Kids are usually eager and willing to learn. I am the garden coordinator for a local elementary school. You might be pleasantly surprised by how hard 11 year olds work.

The girls had enough ambition to knock on your door and they have new bicycles as a goal. My 11 year old doesn't work as quickly as I do but she works hard, accomplishes a lot, makes a lot of money over the summer, and does it with a lot of enthusiasm.

Robin Follette, Editor
Farm & Garden www.farm-garden.com
A Sustainable Agriculture and Rural Living Resource

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>