market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] working kids

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: GreenMrkt AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] working kids
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:48:10 EDT

I think you should check your state employment rules and then give them a chance if it doesn't break any state laws. Why discourage them if they want to work. How else will they learn a work ethic if you don't let them learn it for themselves. Every child is an individual and to say that 'they probably' will do anything is a gross generalization and demeaning to them. They took the initiative why not reward that with trust and give them the work they are asking for. Whether they like the work or not isn't the issue, I've had many jobs that I didn't like even as an adult, but that doesn't mean that I am lazy. It just means that I had to find work that suited me. This experience could be rewarding for both the two girls and the farmer. Who knows you may have future farmers on your hands. Children are the future lets start treating them like treasure instead of trash.

You can check your state ag department or stat employment office for information regarding what the laws are concerning hiring kids.

Blessings,
Karen

Karen Wallman
Green Market Farm