market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re:seed starting & greenhouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re:seed starting & greenhouse
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:59:47 -0400

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:37:37 -0400, you wrote:

>Marcy,
>Low temp shouldn't be the probem with your seeds, because I regularly store
>my seeds in refrigerator
>between growing seasons and they are always viable when planted.
>
>Tomato seeds need to be within 2-4 inches of a flourescent light source to
>germinate.

That's odd: I've been germinating tomato seeds for over 30
years and they have NEVER been within 2-4 inches of a
fluorescent light until AFTER they have sprouted. I get
very good germination rates too. Excellent, in fact.
So I would wonder about the accuracy of that statement.

I do not have room under the fluorescent lights for
germinating seeds - they are kept elsewhere (with
bottom-heat). I put them under lights or outdoors in the
sun once they have germinated.

Sorry to be picky: but I don't want someone else, like me,
who does not have room for germinating seeds under
fluorescent lights to be discouraged about it.

Pat

--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit, and edible
flower seeds for successful container growing.