market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Re:heirloom tomatoes.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Re:heirloom tomatoes.
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 18:05:41 -0500

A tomato can be picked as early as the mature green stage and ripen off the
vine. Mature green is when you slice the fruit open and there is jelly formed
around the seeds. "Barn ripes" in the dark , be it cool or hot generally get a
false redish pink color not unlike winter gassed tomatoes. I like to pick
tomatoes mature green but mostly at the blush stage and ripen them in the
picking baskets on a wagon in the shade... Bob.