market-farming - [Market-farming] Regarding rural gardening and heirloom tomatoes.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Joe Kames" <farfish AT francomm.com>
  • To: "Margaret L Wilson" <booldawgs AT cavenet.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Regarding rural gardening and heirloom tomatoes.
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 22:34:30 -0500

There are many gardeners in this rural area of the Hudson Valley. The 4-H kids grow some amazing vegetables and flowers.

We do very well selling heirloom tomato seedlings in the late spring. The local nurseries only carry the standard hybrid seedlings and many of the gardeners are very happy to have the heirlooms availible from our greenhouse.

I concur with the earlier observation; picking heirlooms in a pink wrap stage often gets around the cracking and the flavor is still good.

                          Joe
                         Freehold NY