market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Re:heirloom tomatoes.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tom at Limerock" <limerock AT thirdplanet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Re:heirloom tomatoes.
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 17:14:22 -0500

Joe & others,

So, you try to pick them what, two to three days before being dead ripe?

After picking, do they hold and color-up better in the dark (covered box) or in the open?

Does a cooler temp (basement) do better than just shaded ( in an outbuilding)?

Will warmer or cooler temps hurry them along?

Thanks.

Tom
Limerock Orchards

Tom,

We are usually picking heirlooms starting in late July (from greenhouse started seedlings). This is Zone 5 and the July temp averages between the mid 80s-high90s F. Around 14 hrs daylight. We have a stream so water is never a problem. I can't claim to be an expert, someone advised me about picking heirlooms before they ripen and indeed there was far less cracking.

Joe

When you are picking them early, what conditions are you letting them color-up in, specifically temperature and light?

Tom
Limerock Orchards

I concur with the earlier observation; picking heirlooms in a pink wrap stage often gets around the cracking and the flavor is still good.

Joe
Freehold NY