market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Value added products

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost AT gilanet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Value added products
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:05:48 -0700

Oh sure, there are some markets where mostly professional women show up.
But that can't possibly be typical of the majority of farmers markets
across the country. There's a total of two professional women within 40
miles of my place. I wouldn't make the mistake of assuming my experience
must be the experience of all other markets in every climate and locale.
Nor would I make the mistake of telling all small growers to take the same
approach to pricing. They won't, and they shouldn't. Aim high in a typical
rural area and they'll laugh you out of town. They want good food at a
reasonable price. I wouldn't assume everybody outside the city limits is
stupid.

Sorry but you're mistaken about me having a problem selling, and I have no
idea where you come up with a personal slur about that "anger" stuff. I
can sell everything I grow. You wouldn't know of course that where I am
most people simply can't or don't grow their own due to the short growing
season, low rainfall, and altitude. And lack of time, experience or
confidence. The nearest grocery is an hour away, cardboard tomatoes and
all.

What the B-school experts miss is the fact that not all of us ruthlessly
aim at simply making the most money as fast as we can. They wouldn't
realize there's more to it. The social interaction and providing a needed
service has many side benefits you can't see until you're involved in it. A
lot of growers know what I mean about being appreciated and respected for
their work. And that translates into income security and customer loyalty.
But those things get shortchanged by the experts because it's hard to put a
price tag on the intangibles.

paul tradingpost AT gilanet.com
http://largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net