market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Value added products

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: OakCamp2 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Value added products
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 22:15:05 EST

In a message dated 2/9/2005 11:42:33 AM Central Standard Time, tradingpost AT gilanet.com writes:
They spend three times as
much for prepared items ("value added") they could throw together
themselves and save. I'd hope fresh market shoppers aren't so clueless
I recently attended a seminar where one of the speakers was Judy Sharpton, a marketing professional that helped retail greenhouses and garden centers market to consumers.  Some of the things she talked about are universal to all retail businesses and may be something to think about as you prepare for the upcoming season.  I know I will be.

1. WOMEN still do the majority of the shopping.  The average age of women, now, is 40-65.
They are professionals who have very little time in their lives for cooking, gardening, cleaning, and all the other stuff that goes with living.  Gear your products to help them save time.  It IS added value to this powerful group of spenders.

2. Because they have very little time in their lives, they will give YOU about 20 minutes of their time at your store/ market stand. If you can't make their lives easier in 20 minutes, they are going to walk away.

3. They like lots of information.  It empowers them to make informed decisions in that 20 minute window, so make sure you have info cards everywhere letting them know how this product is going to fit in with their life.  This is the added value to them!  Is it organic? Is it easy to prepare?  Got  a recipe?  Is it planted in a container they can just take home and place on their deck?

Make life easier for these shoppers and they will spend what you ask for the product.  It isn't clueless, it's time management in the hectic world that we live in.

Barb