market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Donating to the ederly

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Petersons family <petersns AT whidbey.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Donating to the ederly
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 16:09:43 -0800

Our food bank gratefully accepts fresh produce and especially values the organic greens we give them. Check with several near you.
I also donate food at housing units that are designated for low-income elderly people. Most of them have a meeting hall, a meal site, or at least a "free" table. I've found that the people who are elderly now are very grateful and appreciative of fresh garden vegetables. Unlike people who are young now, elders know where food comes from, are not confused by peas still in the pod, and know how to use and cook a variety of fresh vegetables. This year our farmer's markets participated in both the Senior Farmer's Market Nutrition Program and the WIC program. Most of the seniors with coupons knew what they wanted and had great fun picking out their vegetables. The young mothers were a bit more hesitant and almost always chose a fruit over a vegetable. They took a lot more educating before they'd try out unfamiliar vegetables.
Molly Petersons (who works off farm at a Senior Center)
Molly's Island Garden
Whidbey Island, WA