market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Donating to the ederly

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Donating to the ederly
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 08:58:11 -0500

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 17:37:32 -0600, you wrote:

>How does one go about donating fresh produce to the elderly or those in
>need. I was under the impression that food banks will not accept fresh
>produce.

The one in our town will. It is open two mornings a month
only, that's a nuisance, so you can only bring produce then.
But they are thrilled to receive anything fresh - and so are
the recipients. Anything fresh is snapped up almost
instantly.

For an alternative: We have two senior-citizen apartment
buildings here: I could just bring produce to the parking
lot of either of those buildings and just give it to
residents as they went in and out. Or - for a more formal
arrangement - I could get in touch with the buildings'
managers, and set up a day/time to bring produce to the
parking lot.

Pat

--
NOW OPEN! ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb,
and edible flower seeds especially selected for successful