market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] owning land

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Margaret L Wilson" <booldawgs AT cavenet.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] owning land
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 18:04:13 -0800

IMO, security is the best feeling you get from owning your own land. In
troubled times having a place where you can grow some or all of your own food
feels really good. It may be a false sense, depending on where you live and
how the economy goes.

I was at the little local market yesterday. A 4 ounce package of organic
mesclun mix was over $3.60. I don't shop for much. I have 2 freezers full
of meat, veggies and fruit and potatoes and other roots in storage, Prices
seemed outrageous since last time I looked. The economy is in bad shape here
and people are hurting. I saw an elderly lady with a list pricing items and
putting them back. I was listening while standing in line. Most people were
using charge cards to buy their groceries. I will donate extra produce to
the elderly here next summer. Ironically, it is very rural here and almost
everyone could have a small garden, a cage of rabbits and a couple laying
hens. I guess they are forgotten skills.

My list of potential customers is growing :-))