market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Donating to the ederly

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Brooke <bbrooke61 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Donating to the ederly
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 16:04:59 -0800 (PST)

What a great idea...I would imagine one could go to an assisted living environment or a nursing home or a retirement village to donate fresh produce. That's where I would start. As for teaching elderly to garden and maintain, doesn't the Master Gardeners program do that? They should, if they don't. That's another great idea. Imagine if there were a program to teach the poor how to garden and can and store foods...just imagine what that would do to someone's self esteem to be able to provide through a little sweat and dirt. I just found out the other day that one can buy produce seeds with their food stamps. Imagine if that were a stipulation, that they must use a certain amount to buy seed as well as take a few classes on how to be self sufficient....I know, I know...in a perfect world, and that we ain't got. Darn.
Brooke

David Tannen <david AT centerville.net> wrote:
How does one go about donating fresh produce to the elderly or those in
need. I was under the impression that food banks will not accept fresh
produce.

David
Primm Springs, TN
In beautiful middle Tennessee