market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re:Delicata in Saran Wrap for lunch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re:Delicata in Saran Wrap for lunch
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:00:48 -0400

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 06:49:29 -0400, you wrote:

>It's fine with me if Bill does what he wants to do and I certainly
>understand that if you ever eat in a restaurant, you are eating
>microwaved foods, but, gosh darn, it hurts me to decry irradiation by
>the gummit and then practice it at home.

I would have thought that most people construe irradiation
to mean 'exposure to radioactive particles', although
technically you are correct. Technically, 'irradiation'
means exposure to electro-magnetic particles (of which light
is one).

All our food is constantly exposed to irradiation (in this
technical sense) as irradiation includes sunlight while the
crops are growing, home lighting while the tomatoes are
sitting on your kitchen counter, etc.

I wouldn't, necessarily, therefore consider exposure to
microwave energy to be harmful to foods. Maybe there is
other information that would cause me to consider it to be
harmful, but the fact that it's exposed to irradiation - in
and of itself - doesn't make it harmful.

I don't dry herbs in the microwave, though. I have a food
dryer and use that for drying herbs - the food dryer is
meant for the task and works very well.

Pat
--
Coming soon: www.containerseeds.com - vegetable, herb,
and edible flower seeds especially selected for successful