market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Johnny's precision seeder

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Petersons family <petersns AT whidbey.com>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Johnny's precision seeder
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:34:36 -0400

Well, first of all our soil is very rocky, so the seeder doesn't just work every where for us. In fact, when I first got one I had the same problem. It was very spotty. Now I use it in the beds I've been working(and picking up rocks) for a decade and mostly the wheels turn fine (but not always). The finer the soil is tilled the better the seeder works. Notice that it also works better when you hold the handle shorter. Play with the angle, too. And watch it as you seed. Even on good soil the wheels sometimes stop turning the seeder for inexplicable reasons. If the ground isn't absolutely flat seems to be one of the reasons. I think the seeder could be improved if there was a screw holding the wheels to the shaft. Oh well.

That said, it does a really good job if you are really careful, a much better job than any other hand seeder I've seen.