market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Finding a reasonably priced scale

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Finding a reasonably priced scale
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:50:36 -0500

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 06:37:27PM -0500, TxBeeFarmer wrote:
> I've been trying to find a scale to use at the Farmer's Market for veggies.
> Seems the Dept. of Ag. requires a "legal for trade" Class III scale. All
> the ones I've found are really expensive - hundreds of dollars!! Surely, I
> don't have to spend that kind of money to sell veggies at the market, right?
> Anyone know where I can get legal-for-trade scales at a reasonable price?

It is VERY common at farmers markets to sell by lot or volume. For
good reason.

Several years ago, used Berkel electronic scales were sold for less
than $100; I have been looking on eBay for a backup Berkel and haven't
seen anything go for less than $200. I have a single Berkel that I use
in my packing shed but do not carry to market. I have seen people
using Berkels at markets. I have some ~$50 mechanical platform scales
that I use "in a pinch", but they are not legal. I have some beam and
balance antique scales and some baby-weighing scales that probably are
legal, but they are cumbersome to move and to use.

In years past here in Texas, a group of marketers could get together
and get TDA to certify a bunch of scales at one place at one time for
cheap or free. I don't think that TDA does that any more. Seems like
I heard that the annual certification was pretty pricey; I haven't ever
had any of my scales certified.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Good Health: the slowest way to die